11.06.2009

Day 84--- That's a Wrap...


Most of my blogs feature groups of people that either annoy me or that I hate... It's not because I'm a bitter person, not at all, its just because they are the ones I am most comfortable making fun of to make you guys laugh. With that being said today I want to write about a group that I neither hate or am annoyed by, they just make me laugh. The group I speak of are the ones who will save wrapping paper, gift bags, ribbons, or tissue paper for future use...

You guys have undoubtedly crossed paths with one or more of these individuals in your life, haven't you? They are the ones that after all the gifts have been opened at a party or on Christmas, (Hanukkah as well for my Jewish readers) they go around collecting all of the un-ripped remains. They will then tuck themselves away in some corner folding bits of tissue paper and examining the stickiness the unharmed ribbons. These people take the word recycle to a whole new level. Then they hope and pray that no one will notice when their gift wrap is a little bit wrinkled next year, or that there is an extra piece of tape on the bottom of their ribbon.

Now I understand that the economy is in the shitter and times can be tough but I feel like their should be a few other ways to cut corners throughout the year other than rounding up spools of already used wrapping paper. The bags, I do understand a bit, those things can be unnecessarily pricey so I have been known to snatch one of those back up. You just have to try and make it look like you are helping with the clean-up so no one notices you slipping away to put the bags in your car. The re-used ribbons really make me laugh, you always know when the bow keeps falling off of the top of the gift that it's been recycled. You're not sneaking that one past me you "re-wrappers". Tissue paper can go either way, I don't see the use of it in the first place, I may as well just rip out a bunch of pages from old magazines and newspapers and bury the gift under this trash, its cheaper, and if you position it correctly you can probably even make it look stylish. (I should have a fashion/gift wrapping blog, I know) (its under construction)...

So if you have never seen these gem's of society I know you are going to keep your eyes peeled at every future event you are at with gifts.... If not I would be disappointed. For those of you who either are these people, or have seen them in the past I suggest that next time you play a little game with them. As soon as you pick up on their game go over close to the person who is opening the gifts and collect the trash straight from them and rip it up further and crumble it and scrunch it.... Basically do all you can to deform it, and watch their faces, I guarantee it it will look like you were running your fingers down a chalk board...

One mans trash is another mans treasure. Also, one mans trash is another mans reusable trash.

PS. wish me luck, got a flight in the AM, I don't wanna die.

9 comments:

Michael at Wrapsacks.com said...

You have some interesting opinions about the concept of reuse (it's not recycling, that would mean breaking the paper down into a pulp and making something new from it).

You seem to think that people are driven to this behavior primarily for financial reasons. Have you considered the possibility that they might feel bad about all the paper heading to the landfill?

My wife and I started a company that makes reusable cloth gift bags after we realized how much waste was involved in traditional gift wrapping. We even devised a fun geo-tracking idea to encourage people to reuse the bags frequently. Some of our bags have gone on some incredible journeys.

Quincifer said...

I'm not a wrapping paper re-user, but I will admit that I use christmas cards to make next years gift tags. I just cannot justify paying for little bits of card with christmas things on them when i can cut out my own from the cards I got.

And woah, the guy above totally doesn't get what you're saying there....plus if they were bothered about paper going in a landfill they would put it in their paper recycling like normal, not unwrap it slowly, fold it up neatly and put it somewhere safe.

ScoMan said...

I've only done this once. When my niece on her first birthday was playing with this scrap of paper and then had her new toys waved under her nose she gave me the paper to look after.

I used it on her Christmas present.

I don't think she appreciated the effort I went to.

angel6033 said...

Two Words: MY MOTHER!! Loved this post it was funny, and I kept thinking my mom :)....

Kelly said...

I agree with the first guy, unfortunately recycling is not available everywhere, even in the USA. Re-using is an awesome part of recycling (the three Rs)! I don't bother wrapping stuff in the 1st place, because I think its wasteful, and I save what I can for art projects or whatever, I know a lot of people who can do pretty creative things with stuff we normally throw away. It is funny when the obsessive hoarder types do it, and try to be discrete! haha

Anonymous said...

Totally guilty of all of the above. The trick is to use tape to keep the ribbon from falling off.

Chris said...

The worst of it is when people save the "To: From:" cards and don't bother changing the names. That's a little embarrassing.

missykimmy said...

Oh wow I'm close to being those people! I mean, I don't go around collecting *other* people's wrapping paper, ribbons and all that. Other people's trash isn't my treasure. I only collect my own (pretty) wrapping papers but I never use them again. I also collect plastic bags because they look pretty or are from my favourite stores. That too, I don't use again - unless I have five of the same bag. haha. Now that I write this here, I feel a bit stupid. ^^

Great post!
missykimmy.blogspot.com

Nomad said...

michael at wrapsacks- welcome to the invention of sarcasm.

miss kimmy- we forgive you.

sco- i appreciate the effort.

knucklehead- the only time this really works is when its to and from the same person every year. im pretty sure santa must have recycled in my house.

angel- glad i helped you think of your mom. its one of my specialties.

Related Posts with Thumbnails