12.02.2009

Day 110--- Don't Let Your Guard Down...


Today I have decided to write about a group of people that I unfortunately don't get to cross paths with too much in my adulthood... As I passed an Elementary school today I saw a few of them and it brought back so many memories... Well, not really that many memories, but it certainly made me try and remember the days of my life when I got to see them on a daily basis... The people I am referring to are the school crossing guards...

What a nice bunch of people they were... I mean seriously where did they find these guys? Most of them were decades too old to have any kids left in my school, and I didn't live in a retirement community... Maybe they were all of the people who were rejected for the greeter job at Wal-Mart... One thing is for sure they are the only people on earth who would not complain about wearing those bright orange vests... I mean when you are that old you don't really care what you look like I imagine... I don't understand what would make them want to do this job... I'm not positive but I imagine it is strictly volunteer, which means you basically have to babysit every idiot little kid who walks to school, twice a day, for a few minutes at a time, for free... You have to either be a saint, a deaf person, or an illegal immigrant to take this position...

Maybe it has nothing to do with wanting to help. What if they just really want to be in a position of power, and holding a stop sign and controlling a whole street worth of traffic makes them feel godlike... Did you ever think about that?... Shoot, if had the chance to control traffic I may take a shot at it... Just take a really long time walking the kids back and forth, make them come one at a time, I'm sure I could cause delays... Eh, but lucky for you guys I am a sexual predator not allowed within 100 yards of school so this might be kind of hard (kidding), I have a friend in the district who could probably hook me up... Seriously though, I hope they do background checks on these guys and gals, come to think of it that is like the perfect volunteer work for some creepo...

What about the weather they endure, the whole reason I am writing today is because I saw a few of them on my bus ride today... Today when the temperature was in the 30's and windy... Today when I barely wanted to walk outside these guys are spending hours helping kids cross the street... If they don't deserve their own holiday, I don't know who does... It also makes me think back to when I was living in Arizona, first couple months of school temperatures stayed at about 110 and above... Talk about a farmers tan... I hope they at least get to keep the stop sign when they are done with the job...

As much as I may want to make fun of these guys, (just because that's what I do) I actually just can't be that harsh... I mean heck I may have been hit by a car when I was younger if it were not for them, and wow, the world would be a much much sadder place without me, I'm sure we can all attest to that... With that being said, I hereby declare December 2nd Crossing Guard day... Tell a friend. However, if it turns out that they are actually paid, and I'm just a naive idiot, I'm indian giving the day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They have always been under-appreciated.

ScoMan said...

One of my mum's friends did this for a few years, and there's no way she was doing anything for free.

In Australia at least, I'm putting everything I own on "They ain't volunteers"

Oh, and my friends mum is a bitch, so it's okay that you.. wait, you didn't diss them at all. Normally you point out flaws with a group, today you idolized them. I'm lost.

Lothiriel said...

When I was in elementary, it was usually some 6th grader with such sign that helped you cross the street. I remember it used to be such an honor and really cool to be a cross guard.

Now a days, it's all grownups.

I like them. Thanks for writing about them. They are certainly an admirable group of people.

angel6033 said...

THe crossing gaurd, on my block was very sweet, I used to take her water or something to drink in the hot summer afternoons :)

Blissseeker said...

The other day a family member who happens to live close by the cross walk commented (and was very concerned) that my children spend too much time talking to the crossing guard! I have to appreciate the fact that she is paying attention to my kids on their way home from school however had to inform her that he is a wonderful man! He lives close by and sometimes plays guitar with my 15yr old on his front porch. He has a special nick name for my daughter and her friend because they have the same name. I am happy to know that there is someone so kind helping them get home every day. I think I'll give him a Christmas gift this year:)

Chris said...

Okay, my favorite is the guy you pictured in the Yankee gear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails