2.04.2010

Day 166--- Royale With Cheese...


Onto the next one... not only a great way to start today's post, but also a great Jay-Z song... So I am into day four of my new job and I have finally stopped falling asleep during training, so that is a plus... I expect you guys to be very proud of me for that... Anyways, enough about the daily life of the creative genius behind the curtain here, let me just get down to the nitty gritty... If there is a group that I am the most polar opposite to I think today is going to highlight them (little nod to yesterdays post)... Picky Eaters...

If you knew me personally you would know that one of my first loves in life was food. From the moment I moved from the boob to solids there is not a thing that I would not try at least once, and to be quite honest you would have more of a problem getting me to stop eating than to try something... I am always the first to dig in, the one to take a dare, and the one to finish stuff that someone else couldn't or wouldn't finish... Come to think of it, it is probably picky people who are at fault for my fatness... Look at me, typical American blaming someone else for my problems... Really though, I have always been a strict believer that it is a sin to waste food when there are so many people on earth that die of starvation on a daily basis... I guess I sort of feel like it is my duty to eat what they cannot before letting someone else trash it... In a sick, human garbage disposal way I really believe I am doing the world a solid by eating things that no one else will...
I think the sickness started while I was growing up... My dad and little sister may be two of the pickiest people who you would ever meet in your entire life... I'm not even talking the kind of picky where they just wont try new things, I am talking like a strict diet of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, Cheerios, and pretzels... Therefore my garbage disposing syndrome and I were usually left to vacuum up the table after they had pushed everything around to make it look like they had eaten...

It really is crazy to me though that there are so many super picky people littered across the globe when there are people who basically eat roots and bark just to survive... I understand if you don't like something you are not going to force yourself to eat it, but how did we get to a point where we could be this stuck up when it comes to food... After working in a restaurant for nearly 5 years in Times Square I was able to witness eating habits from people all over the world and I must admit that here in America we certainly take the cake on both extremes. On one side we have the people like me who can finish a decent plate without breathing, I have a motto, that I should probably drop if I don't want to die at 50... My motto is that is that if I eat more than half of a meal when I am out to eat then I may as well finish it because clearly the smaller portion I left would not be enough to feed me as left overs if that amount was not enough to get me full the first time... I don't know if that is a motto, or just an excuse to eat a lot of food, but it convinces me every time... Besides having some of the fattest fatties in the world we here in the U.S. are also home to some of the most picky bastards on planet earth... If you have seen When Harry Met Sally you no doubt remember how Sally orders her food with like 20 different modifications... Now, when you see that movie it appears that this is a clearly a joke, but I blog before you here today as a living witness to more than one real life version of this person... These picky douche bags may not be as common as the pigs but they certainly exist...

People who don't like cheese, people who cant have coleslaw even near their plate, people who want fries without any salt, people who want everything cooked in a separate pan from everyone else, and the list goes on and on... I would think that if you were this picky then you would just keep yourself locked at home where you would not have to come make everyone else miserable with your oddities, but this is not true... Most of these people love to tell others how picky they are especially if you are their waiter... I don't care how you have not eaten anything green since you were 5, it shows...

I think part of the reason this bothers me so much, besides the fact that I hate knowing how much we throw away when there are people starving in the world is that one of my favorite things to do in the world is to travel and try different cuisines from around the world. I think this is one of the best ways to quickly immerse yourself in another culture. But lucky me, I have managed to travel with people who wont try anything new, so we could be in the middle of Paris looking for a french bistro and they are trying to find the nearest McDonald's so they can get a Royale with Cheese... I cannot think of anything more uncultured than going to another country and searching out a McDonald's, that would be like going to Disney World and trying to look for a swing set or a slide... Makes me sick...

I could go on and on about how annoying these people are when it comes to food, but I am sure if you are not one then you know someone who is and you can already sympathize. So I shall leave it at that as I go finish up all of the food that everyone left from dinner.... Mmmmm...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My roommate is like that and literally eats only popcorn, peas and tuna salad. I don't think there has been a day since I lived with her that she hasn't made popcorn. Picky eaters are just annoying, and probably lacking in essential vitamins

Chris said...

I've never understood it myself. Naturally, there are foods that I prefer over others, but the only food that I flat-out don't like is shredded coconut. And even then, I don't mind coconut shrimp.

Lothiriel said...

I'll eat anything, the proof is in my fat ass (which i'm slowly reducing one pound at time). I worked as a waitress for three years--saw them, hated them! I had this lady that used to come in and order a burrito without the tortilla!

ScoMan said...

There are a few things I won't eat.

Tomato.

Mushroom.

Fried rice.

And a few others.

But only because they make me throw up. Or at least dry roach. If a food's making you dry roach, you shouldn't be eating it.

Other than that, I'm all up for trying new things.

PoMiFoS said...

picky eaters should shampoo my crotch.

ROSIE said...

I have only recently started to follow your blogs and you never disappoint. Always funny. That being said, I have to admit that I am a picky eater. There are certain foods I will absolutely not try. It’s my body so… um…whatever, I’ll do what I want. (When reading the last line imagine a very poor imitation of Cartman from South Park on the episode when he went on the Maury Show. If you have not seen that episode, I highly recommend that you youtube it. Hilarious.)

Candice said...

OMG YES! I wanted to do a post about this. I have a few friends who will rudely turn up their noses to something, even if it was cooked FOR THEM. One of the reasons I stopped being a vegetarian was because it was awful having to be picky about eating at other people's houses. AND RUDE. EAT THE DAMNED FOOD. Ungrateful bastards.

angel6033 said...

lol, I hate picky eaters too. One of my close friends is like this, I hate taking her out anywhere because she will never finish her food, she palys around with it, with her fork to pretend to make it look like less.. I fucking hate it lol..

Sil said...

I totally agree - on a related note I spotted this great article for a restaurant in Sydney
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/restaurants-and-bars/this-real-iron-chef-will-make-you-pay-20100507-ujo6.html

Heres a bit of a quote;
" "They are picky eaters. I do not want to make food for these people," said Ichikawa, 42, who turns away customers not in tune with her homespun philosophy of eating, which partly derives from her horror about a world where people die from hunger."

Related Posts with Thumbnails