2.03.2010

Day 165--- High-Light-It-Up...


Well, just as I suspected yesterday was my last in the blogging competition held by Knucklehead, that is of course unless this is Florida... (Get the miscount reference?)... Honestly such a fun competition with such great competitors, I made it to the final 3 out of 10. Held in there for 5 hard weeks but was overtaken by Candice and Mike, so congrats to them, clearly they were good enough to beat me so you guys should all find them worthy to check out... With that being said, I am also a sore loser so I hope your Internet disconnects when you click their links... Kidding, kidding... Today I have chosen one of the most random people that I think I have gone with to date... It is going to be nearly impossible to write very much on this group so this is why I am trying to drag on this opening paragraph so at least it still looks like somewhat of a big boy post... I became very good at this skill when I had to start writing essays and papers in school that had to be a certain length long, quite impressive don't you think? You have now read nearly a full paragraph and have learned absolutely nothing of value, congrats... OK OK, the person I have selected today are the people who highlight everything...

Told you it was random, but this is truly something that has always confused me... In case you are not following due to overabundance of words and confusion, I am referring to the people who will literally take a page of notes or a page from a book and literally highlight the whole thing... I always thought that the purpose of the highlighter was to make certain important details of a text pop out for your memory, which is of course why I find it confusing when people will do an entire page... You may be thinking, Ryan there surely exist no people stupid enough to do this. I say to you nay, I sat behind a person in class today who literally highlighted EVERY SINGLE word that was on the notes for the class... That way when she looks it back over she will clearly be able to narrow down what was important... OR NOT...

Now, you are probably thinking Ryan why would you give 2 shits about this, and to that I respond. Well, there is no real good reason, I think I am just not a huge fan of wasting time, and I feel like people who do this are doing nothing but wasting it... I have seen people do the same thing in a book, the only benefit that this can possibly give is brighter words for the next person... Maybe I am being insensitive, maybe these people suffer from the very common disease highlottia, not to be confused with the common stoner... These people are often known to carry around as many as ten to twenty different highlighters brightening up every bit of text they see... When studying they will commonly highlight the full text book only to come back and underline important points, sure this is a waste of time, but when you are this much of a loser clearly you have time to waste... Maybe some of these people have OCD, but I guess the need to highlight everything is much better than the need to touch a door frame 9 times before you leave any room... God I am glad I am not crazy, I mean besides the whole blog and everything...

I think this is where I need to end today's post, working on 5 hours of sleep (which is like 1 for a normal person) so I am even boring myself at this point... Hopefully I can redeem myself by finding a good picture... Cheers.



7 comments:

ScoMan said...

I did this to my CPA books when I was studying. I was like "Oh, that sentence is important too.. so is that one.. so is that one" and I'd highlight whole pages except for like three words.

But it did help, because it was open book exams and I did each chapter in a different colour. So I'd be like "Yes, I remember reading about that.. it was on pink, it's in chapter four.. it's on a left hand page"

So for open book tests, this is useful.

Anonymous said...

they're so pretty its easy to get carried away...

its too bad you didnt win the competition, I really thought your dr. seuss post would win for sure!

angel6033 said...

I am sad to see you lost, :( you truly are a great and funny writer..oh well, as far as the hilighting thing I think I have been guilty of that, I love usinga lot of colors lol ...

Lothiriel said...

top 3 out of 10 is awesome in my book!!

LOL! I wish I could say I wasn't a compulsive highlighter!! LOL!

PoMiFoS said...

Sorry we could not get you to the finals. Like my fellow Eagles fans always say, maybe next year!
I am glad you brought up these people who forgot the point of highlighting. I did not bother using a highlighter aside from making decorations for my dorm room that looked cool in black light!

Alissa Grosso said...

I've never understood the excessive highlighting thing myself. Of course, highlighting is a skill I never really mastered. When I did attempt it, I would go back later and wonder why on earth I had had highlighted that particular sentence or whatever.

Chicken Maker said...

Your name's Ryan? Very interesting.

I've never seen one who went that far, though I've seen some folks(like my older sister) who get pretty close. My goodness it was terrible watching her do an open note test at home. She had her notes, and also her books and when she found the answer in her notes she then looked it up in her book to make sure... And everything was covered in yellow and pink highlighter

I've always preferred the underline myself

Related Posts with Thumbnails