4.19.2010

Day 198--- Whats Your Fanta-ta-tasy....?


Haha, Sco, I know that we don't really know each other, but just based off of what I do know about you I have to say that I am not shocked to find out that you use handkerchiefs... Its not even that I assume you would be gross like the people I described, but I feel like you'd be exactly like the kid I'm friends with from high school who uses them... Clearly its an OK thing if you two use them... (Think anyone else read through this whole thing?)...

Main Entry: fantasy sport
Part of Speech: n
Definition: any sports competition with imaginary teams which the participants own, manage, and coach and with the games based on statistics generated by actual players or teams of a professional sport; cf. {rotisserie league}
Usage: sport

So today I've decided to do a post about people who play fantasy sports... While I am obviously going to make fun of them like I do the rest of the people I write about, I have to admit up front that I have dabbled in this world... But there are stages...

Like I said, Ive dabbled in this world, but my inspiration comes from a few friends I have who play like they were in the big leagues, minus the performance enhancing drugs... While this can be a fun little way to have some legal bets amongst friends and have an excuse for older men to go play at their friends houses and come home smelling like cigars... I think fantasy sports were created primarily for people who've realized it was about as close as they were ever going to get to that sport again... Well for them, and your typical sports fanatic with a gambling problem... For the rest of us giving up on our sports fantasies there is the office softball team and if you've become too immobile for that, I hear there are some pretty realistic Wii games out there...

Honestly I never would have realized how deep and dark the world of fantasy sports is had I not made friends with a kingpin of its underworld... My buddy Steve actually spent hard earned money on a fantasy baseball stat book that he studied for weeks prior to this seasons draft, I'm sure there are scouts out there that put in less time than he did... It was intriguing to watch study and basically copy down this entire book so that he could make the best possible team... And this was before the season had even started... Now he is finagling trades and watching games day in and day out... I imagine when you've slipped into this world ESPN supplies the only news you need, you pray to your team, and you carry around balls... You focus more attention on this than you ever did any test, or class in all your years at school and all for a small pot and bragging rights until next season...

On a level of James Dean to complete dork I'd give fantasy sports a solid 6.6... Its far enough away from video games, Anime, comic books, Star Trek, or wrestling that I cant give put it in the 8-10 range that they fall in. Plus it deals with actual sports so just because I'm a boy I have to allow it some cool points for that alone... Well, I'd love to stay and chat but there's this new anime comic book about Star Trek that I just got in the mail and I've been dying to read it... Later...

I went with pictures that show what my fantasy sports would look like...

15 comments:

ScoMan said...

I spent half the post trying to figure out what the hell "fantasy sports" were mostly because of those pictures.

I was like "What is it? Some sort of team that gets together and plays each other on weekends and pretends to be professional players?"

But I don't think that's what it is. It sounds like some internety type thing.

I think that's happening in Australia. Possibly.

I don't know, I rarely get off my Xbox to see what's going on in other peoples basements.

Nomad said...

ive added a definition for others, thanks for reminding me.

Chris said...

I am a fantasy football geek. Seriously, it does make Sundays way more interesting. The game on TV, the computer fired up to show the real-time stats updates.

Gotta love it.

K.Pete said...

I read it :) I didn't comment on the handkerchief one but when I worked in AUS they were quite a popular item to give brides. And I LOVE that Sco uses them :)

Not into fantasy sports - at all.

PoMiFoS said...

I quit playing fantasy football because I can't keep up with the fantasy football nerds in my league. I did not want to and could not keep up with them.

Home for Sale said...

it does make Sundays way more interesting. The game on TV, the computer fired up to show the real-time stats updates...

advertising company said...

I can't keep up with the fantasy football nerds in my league. I did not want to and could not keep up with them.

advertising company said...

I didn't comment on the handkerchief one but when I worked in AUS they were quite a popular item to give brides.

Website designer Delhi said...

Wow!Ultimate sharing with have a nice article.I read this post with open mind.It is really nice.

Website designer Delhi said...

This article is really helpful related this post.

advertising company said...

Some sort of team that gets together and plays each other on weekends and pretends to be professional players?"

advertising company said...

I worked in AUS they were quite a popular item to give brides. And I LOVE that Sco uses them ...

Seo services kanpur said...

These are really ultimate look here.

photo canvas said...

The babe looking hot n stunning.I wanna have fantasy like her.Many thanks for bringing the internet to daily life. I really appreciate anything that you create.

garage floor paint said...

My fantasy is to meet with my favorite heroine and wanna chat with sachin tendulkar.I love his nature and playing style.

Related Posts with Thumbnails